Website article submission guidelines:
Please submit any proposed articles to the editors.
• Editorial: The South African Legion (UK & Europe) reserves the right to approve, edit, abridge, and/or amend any submissions before and/or after publication.
• Copyright: All text, image and video content submitted needs to be your own work, or submitted under express authorisation of the author/photographer. This authorisation needs to be supplied with the image.
• Privacy: NB! It is necessary to get the approval of any person featured in a picture before publication. It is best practice to ask people before taking pictures. Any request by anyone NOT to be featured in pictures must be rigorously adhered to.
• Credit: Please clearly credit the authors of texts as well as photographers. If pictures by more than one photographer are submitted, each picture should be individually credited.
• Text to be supplied digitally via email as a MS Word Document (preferable), or TXT file, or by plain text email with no embedded pictures, macros, formatting, or layout of any kind. NO PDF documents please!
• Please set your spelling checker to English UK and use ‘ise’ endings to utilise, organise.
• Check your article for correct spelling of names, and the correct designation of organisations.
• Use abbreviations and/or ‘in-jargon’ sparingly. For example: On first usage, South African National Defence Force (SANDF) and after that just SANDF.
• For spelling defer to the Oxford English Dictionary.
• For more general style guidelines and practise, defer to The Economist Style Guide.
• A maximum of five or six images per submission please – DO NOT send us a link to an album of 250 pictures to choose from.
• Set your camera to the highest resolution possible.
• Please submit JPG files via email or cloud server (e.g. Dropbox). Pictures or graphics should be a minimum of 800X630px at 72dpi. Images larger than 1mb will be removed from the website.
• Captions for pictures where appropriate to include full (check spelling) names (listed left to right) of people featured.
• Not acceptable: Web-rip (copy paste) pictures, resized pictures, ‘postage stamps’.
• Set your camera to ‘High Definition’ (HD).
• Shoot all video in LANDSCAPE (wide) orientation.
• Please submit original MP4/AVI/MOV/WMV/MKV files via email or cloud server in their original size. Note that third-party APPs (WhatsApp, Facebook) automatically shrink videos for transmission so such apps should be avoided along the transmission chain. NOTE the website will NOT be the host for these videos, so an external link would be required.
• YouTube links to an established, reliable account are acceptable
• Not acceptable: YouTube or APP-ripped videos.
Conclusion: You will be sent a link to your piece after publication. Please check it and report any errors that might have crept in during the editorial process (they can and do) to the editor/webmaster immediately.